I’m back from my holiday and I came back with lots of peaches and figs from Bastille Market in Paris! so cheap, 1.5 euro for 1kg for peaches and for figs, it’s about 1.50 euro for 500g. So I bought quite a number back. Now they are all super ripe so I have to quickly finish them up. Maybe time for a peach ice cream or a figs pound cake. Uhmm well leave the heavier stuffs aside, here’s a simple salad recipe to sweeten up your appetite. Peaches and figs are really sweet so if it wasn’t for the black pepper vinaigrette, and ham, I would feel like I’m eating a savoury dessert, or a sweet appetizer Haha.
If that makes any sense at all.
It is somewhat optional to grill them on the griddle pan but by doing so, it warms up the fruits and gives if more juice and softens the texture. Use Parma ham or proscuitto too add saltiness to the salad, and possibly some cheese and nuts for texture. Very colourful salad I would say but not cheap in terms of the products availability in Malaysia. 2 slices of parma ham is about RM9, 4 figs would be RM 10-12, a bright yellow peach is about RM 4 and a box of arugula is about RM 4 as well, I’m not even counting in the cheese cause they were leftovers. So I’ll leave you with the calculations. But when the produces are easily available in your own country then it makes it a ‘cheap in price but expensive in taste’ salad.
I really like its sweetness, peppery taste from all the ingredients that I think I may make it again. Peaches and figs are really good fruits to be made into a salad because of its’ vibrant colour and distinctive shapes. Please don’t use any canned peaches for this. thanks.
The salad ‘recipe’ was adapted from A Cozy Kitchen.
- 3 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon good balsamic vinegar
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 6-7 turns freshly ground pepper
- 4 figs, sliced
- Olive oil
- Few handfuls of arugula (2 ounces), cleaned and dried
- 1 yellow peach, sliced
- 2 slices Italian Parma Ham
- Brie Cheese
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper; mix until thoroughly combined. Do a taste test and add a bit more salt, if you like. Set aside.
- Heat a grill or grill pan. When hot, brush with olive oil. Place the figs and peaches on the hot grill, face down and cook for 1-2 minutes, until grill marks appear. Remove and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the arugula. Sprinkle the leaves with salt. Add half of the dressing and lightly toss the salad. Transfer the leaves to your serving plate. Add the peaches and figs to the mixing bowl and toss with a bit of dressing. Transfer the peaches and figs to the serving plate, arranging how ever you like. Top with a few torn pieces of Parma Ham and thin slices of brie cheese.