Soups are easy to prep ahead, kept in the freezer for days when you want that extra portion of something, or for a lazy fuss-free-cook. It’s also a great way to feed your guests something filling; soup and bread before a meal if you’re into entertaining, giving them some impressive vibes. I mean, it’s a one pot thing and serves many, can be prepped a head and kept warm in a cooker.
It’s also, a sneaky way to get people who dont like to eat veges, to eat veges especially if it’s blended (like pumpkin soup). In this case, the broccoli is cooked down till soft so maybe, you can trick your children into eating more veg this way. HAHA
Soups are relatively straight forward. It usually requires the vegetable you are using, a stock and aromats, a thickener sometimes, and maybe a stick blender. I normally don’t make soup with a recipe and my favourite to go soup is a pumpkin soup. It could be done in less 15 minutes. But I reckon a broccoli cheddar soup is quite interesting. After all, if it’s vegetable, it’s healthy right ? HAHA
Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for video and recipe!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1/2 white onion
- 4-5 cloves roasted garlic or 2-3 cloves raw garlic
- 200 g cheddar cheese (up to 250g)
- 1 corn (use a carrot if you prefer)
- 60 g butter (4 tbsp)
- 40 g plain flour (3 tbsp)
- 250 ml cooking cream / whipping cream (1 cup)
- 750 ml chicken or vegetable broth (3 cups)
- 250 ml water (1 cup)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Chop broccoli into tiny florets, cut the stems finely too. Slice or dice onion. Mince garlic if using fresh garlic. Cut kernels from corn. Grate cheese
- Heat a large pot, add in butter till melted. Add in onions and sautee for 1 minute.
- Add in flour and stir till it becomes a roux. Add in garlic (roasted or minced), and stir till flour is a little pasty.
- Turn down the heat, add in 1 cup of cream and stir to try to combine both roux and cream together. Gradually add in 3 cups of stock and 1 cup water.
- Add in broccoli and corn. Add paprika (if using) and season with black pepper. I didn't use salt because the chicken broth was slightly salted and cheddar cheese is salty. So hold on the salt till after you've added the cheddar cheese
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes till broccoli is slightly softened.
- Add grated cheddar cheese and stir well. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve with toasted sourdough.
Here is the link on how to make roasted garlic in the oven.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram (@sweesan) if you make this recipe! Cheese