These sausage rolls are not just frankfurters wrapped in frozen puff pastry. That’s an easy way out if your children have some friends over and need a (sorta) child-friendly, time-saving, treats. However, I try to cut down consumption of frankfurters sausages, hot dogs or sausages that looked too polished and smooth. The easiest way to not consume them is just NOT TO BUY them 😉 But keeping some frozen mince is more convenient as you can make lots of things out from mince. One of them is this sausage roll.
I conducted a demo on this and I usually have a few regulars that come and when I said “I’m teaching sausage rolls today“, they all gave me a look of disbelief as they thought why am I teaching frankfurters wrapped in puff pastry ? Hehe. Nope, I said. The sausage is made from minced chicken and you can also make meatballs or burger patties out from it. But wrapping it in a layer of ready-frozen puff pastry seals the moisture of the sausage more than frying it as a meatball.
Sausage / meatball / burger patties usually contain lots of fat % to make it moist and tender when biting. But I went on to the ‘healthier’ version by adding grated apples. Apples are high in moisture and fiber. It acts as a substitute for fat and also giving it sweetness to the sausage roll.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g panko (breadcrumbs)
- 400g minced chicken
- 2 stems of thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 red apple, corsley grated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat. Lightly sautée onion, garlic and thyme for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Remove frozen puff pastry from the freezer and leave it to thaw while you mix up the mince.
- Mix everything else (except for puff pastry, egg and white sesame seeds) in a big bowl. Add in the sauteed onion mixture. Add in salt and pepper to season and mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Cut puff pastry sheets into half. Add minced chicken lengthwise on the pastry sheet, brush with some egg wash and roll it to seal. Brush with egg wash on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut to 8-12 pieces per puff pastry and place on lined trays. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Follow me on Instagram for daily feeds of delicious food and desserts @sweesan
Follow me on bloglovin’ to get instant updates via email : bloglovin @ thesweetspot