Happy Chinese New Year everyone!
Well, the posting is kinda late but better late than never 😉
Last year I made two types of pineapple tart skin, one enclosed and another nastar. This year, I made nastar only as I injured my thumb and nastar seems to be the faster way to make 300 pcs of pineapple tarts.
However I would still post up both photos and recipes as I find both are also very nice to eat and well received by many people.
This year’s jam would have been perfect for these enclosed versions’ as last year, the jam was abit moist (hence it’s kinda deflated and not round) But still yummy nonetheless!
This dough consist of alot of fat (cream cheese and cream) It is quite similar to a rugelach that uses cream cheese for its flaky dough. I adapted the recipe from wendy’s blog. The dough is a little tacky at first but it’s not sticky. Of course, work with clean and DRY fingers / hands.
1. Shape the pineapple jam the night before, or even 2. This will dry the jam out a little and keep its shape when you roll it in the dough.
2. Cut and weight (or if u have good eye-sight, measure with the eye) all the dough before starting the wrapping process.
3. Make sure the dough size is bigger than the jam (about 2x) Jam size was about 5-8 g and the dough was about 10-15 g
- 250g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 170g whipping cream (dairy)
- 50g cream cheese, thawed
- 3 yolks
- 400g all purpose flour
- 30g corn starch
- 5g salt
- pineapple jam (2 morris pineapple or about 600-800g)
- egg yolk for glazing
- Cream butter, caster sugar and cream cheese together.
- Once it is mixed well, add in cream and beat on medium speed for 5 minutes or until it comes together.
- Add in yolk, one at a time, beat for 1 minute.
- Add in flour, corn starch and salt in batches and mix on a slow speed. Once it comes together, stop.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before you cut them into shapes and roll them.
- Wrap pineapple jam inside. Use a spatula to make a # mark on top lightly. Brush lightly with egg yolk.
- Bake in a 170 C oven for about 17 minutes.
Definitely two thumbs up! This is my 2nd year making pineapple tarts. I think it’s going to be a yearly thing because I can’t eat store bought pineapple jam! No turning back they said HAHA!!