Since we’re in the topic of mussels I thought I should put this up before its archived for another few more months .Lol. That is how it’s rolling now. Bake a feast during the weekends to last posts for at least a month. And since I don’t cook much, main meals are such sacred posts in this blog. I should cook more. Yup.
Ok So mussels and chorizo risotto. Same thing with all risotto, cook the rice then add stock and stir and cook till its al dente. The only difference is I pan fried chorizo in the pan first, then fry the arborio rice in the same pan just to soak up the oil from chorizo.
Mussels and Chorizo Risotto
(loosely adapted from The Silver Spoon’s Risotto Ai Frutti Di Mare)
about 1L fish stock (I used vegetable stock)
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove
2 chorizo, or other sausages
6-8 nos. mussels, washed with shells removed
150-175g arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
salt and pepper
1. Bring stock to the boil. Melt half of butter in a sauce pan. Pan fry sliced chorizo till crispy and golden. Remove and set aside
2. Using the same pan, add in the remaining butter, add onion and arborio rice. Stir until the grains are coated with butter.
3. Pour in the wine and cook until it has evaporated. Add in tomato puree and cherry tomatoes. Stir.
4. Add a ladleful of hot stock and cook, stirring until it has been absorbed. Continue adding stock, stirring after each addition till rice is cooked. Will take about 18-20 minutes depending on type of rice and size of pan.
5. 5 minutes before risotto is ready, add in cooked chorizo and mussels. Season with salt and pepper.
6. When rice is tender, remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.